Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Testing...1....2....3

I spent the past week doing nothing physical and the inactivity was beginning to get me a tad bit stir crazy by Friday and I thought I better do something to stave off the jitters.
And just as I had this thought, I got an email from the bike shop that Cervelo was going to be on site with a truck load of bikes to test ride.

OH JOY! a fix for my restless body syndrome.

I suggested this opportunity to girlfriend and she was up for it so on Saturday morning, we got on our bikes and rode an ez 12 miles to the bike shop. A perfect warm up ride.

Here's what I found.
I took each bike on a 5 mile loop that had some hills and flats.

First up:

The P3C is a solid TT bike and everything about it is straight foreword efficient speed. Every pedal stroke sent me ahead with solid responsiveness. Imperceptible side flex and like a stealth arrow on fast descents...scary fast, the way I like it.

Second:

The SLC-SL is a snappy small framed and responsive switchblade that responded to my subtle movements and immediate take offs from every pedal stroke. Stiff and strong. A think this would be a great criterium bike that could jump through the smallest gaps and leave the rest blinking at what just happened.

Third:

The R3-SL is the stiffest thing on 2 wheels. You talk about a billy-goat for climbing hills. Every gram of pedal power propelled me up the hills and the Sram Red groupo is the shnizzle. If I were ever to do a mountain stage, this would be my first bike choice. Stiff, strong and LIGHT! I was told that the R3, medium size frame, could be built out under 14 pounds and one has been built out at under 10 pounds. WTF!? less than 10 pounds!? Somebody call a lumberjack, I've got wood.

Oh sure, my legs were still a bit tired from being only 6 days past IM Canada but I hardly noticed it on these great bikes.
The 12 mile ride home on my old Kestrel 200 was when I noticed my cooked legs...

Can I get a beer and pizza here please? I'm a recovering ironman and need my fix.

11 comments:

SixTwoThree said...

Okay, did your girlfriend try the P2C? And if so, what's her review? That's the bike I've been pining for all year ;-)

katie b said...

wow, sounds like a very educational and fun field trip to me! good to see you're moving around phenomonally well after the big race :)

CoachLiz said...

Wait, you did not call me and let me know about this??? Shame on you!

LBTEPA said...

Time to start saving up......
love the new header photo :)

Cy said...

It was so great to see you on Monday!

Thanks for the bike review...hum..a new road bike is SO tempting.

SWTrigal said...

I have nothing but good things to say about my P2C-just make sure you have a good LBS to work on it unless of course you do your own work..

triguyjt said...

so...the r3-sl is gotta be the one for you..right...
if you have what...6 grand???

btw....the header photo is spectacular..great great shot...
captures it all... great shot...

Steve Stenzel said...

Sweet bike porn! Great details!!

Fe-lady said...

Love your new photo!
Mine sure isn't as nice as yours...but then the photographers in '95 didn't have the digital capabilities they do now!

Did you post the other race photos too?

Rachel said...

Congrats on CA! I can't wait for next year! Cervelo makes a sweet bike.

Speed Racer said...

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod. I need to go take a cold shower or have some alone time!